We are the slackers-forced into unemployment by the worst recession in decades, grappling with an uncertain future, these are our stories......

6.12.09

The Job Search


Growing up, everyone told me that if I wanted to get a good job one day, I would have to go to college. Taking their advice to heart, I spent four years doing everything possible to graduate on time. I succeeded. So now I should have a great job and on my way to building a financial future, right? WRONG!!!! I graduated at the beginning of the recession, luckily landing a temporary job, but having it only last 6 months. A few more temp jobs later and I'm in worse shape then ever. Now, looking for a job IS my full-time job. I spend hours upon hours sending out my resume', filling out applications, and hoping and praying for the opportunity for an interview. I work away, bitterly noting that many people that never stepped foot on a college campus are working and making good money. Makes me think about whether or not I wasted four years where I could have jumped into retail and worked my way up to a managers' position. Instead, I'm jobless, four years of honors and achievement meaning nothing due to a "lack of experience". How will we post-graduates ever gain the necessary experience for the jobs out there if we cannot find a job in the first place? A few years ago, living a life of unemployment was a seemingly frowned-upon choice. Now, its a way of life for many of us just trying to make it.

No comments:

Post a Comment